GSoC Updates – Report 4

This post briefly sums up the work since my last report, when I got a basic Maemo-Angstrom filesystem image working.Since then I have focussed mainly on the following two issues –

1. Improving the Hildon Desktop environment and adding useful applications – The improvements included getting the application menu in hildon-desktop working, fixing some crashes and detecting a couple of OE related packaging issues, which led to those crashes. I have also added support for all the hildonised gpe applications from Diablo extras-devel, and some of the Fremantle Stars applications – omweather, maemo-mapper etc. Work on modest and other Fremantle apps is in place.

2. Restructuring my work -The earlier repo at http://github.com/rkirti/maemo-oe/tree/master required the user to manually add some recipes to the OE tree due to core components like glib/gtk etc. I have now changed and restructured this to create a proper OE overlay, just like jalimo does for instance, and the new overlay which can be used on top of a clean OE tree is hosted  at – http://github.com/rkirti/maemo_angstrom/tree/master

Instructions for usage have also been documented here.Flames/suggestions/comments are as always welcome here or on IRC. đŸ™‚

To sign-off, here a couple of screenshots of the newly added applications.

Hildon Desktop on beagleboard from the VNC viewer
Hildon Desktop on beagleboard from the VNC viewer
Omweather running on Angstrom as seen through the VNC viewer
Omweather running on Angstrom as seen through the VNC viewer

Update 1:  I am currently testing my work on the Beagleboard, so interested beagleboard users can look at this download page , for the latest image to test with.